Successful primary data collection methods used in the field
Choosing the right technique for collecting data is one of the best decisions you will make as a brand. The data collection method or methods you choose have to be relevant and appropriate. We have discussed some of the methods you can use to capture data in the field, some of the methods can be executed using the market’s leading data collection app OnSpot Social as we shall discuss later.
What is primary data collection?
Primary data collection is simply data that is collected first hand by a researcher. Here are the successful primary data collection methods used in the field.
1. Online surveys
The use of online surveys has increasingly become popular. While it is the least expensive way to reach out to your audience, this method is highly successful.
Use the best data collection app OnSpot Social to obtain feedback from your attendees at events, exhibitions or trade shows. The app boasts the voice of a customer app for an iPad and iPhone to help you capture feedback from the customers from anywhere they may be in the field.
The app features visual surveys like the emoticons and 5-star ratings to let your leads quickly identify their satisfaction in real-time. So if not enough, you can add the Net promoter score to help you collect customer satisfaction on a scale of 1-10.
- A survey as a primary data collection method makes it possible for you to address negative feedback in the event and instantly solve it.
Questionnaires give the most speedy and easy way of gathering data about your leads in the field. OnSpot Social app comes with several templates that can be customized and used to create personalized questionnaires.
OnSpot Social app features and email and listing feature to help you collect leads data from any place. The app even allows you to collect to a larger screen to attract the attention of the passers-by thus helping you capture as many leads as possible even in areas where there is no internet. The app’s custom keyboards facilitate easy typing. Its excellent integration with third-party software lets you save your data in the CRM of your choice for future use.
The app is easy to set up at events. It offers you a cheap way of obtaining email addresses and any data that is of interest through its simple and customizable forms.
Conducting interviews can help gain a deeper understanding of your audience’s needs and desires. Additionally, it will also help you build a long-lasting relationship with your audience and leads.
Other advantages of an interview as a data collection method include:
- Helping brands realize rich and deep insights that they may have missed.
- Help businesses get honest feedback about the products and services they offer.
- Unlike online surveys, interviews may help a brand improve the audience response rate.
Even though, interviews need a well- trained team that has the necessary skills and knowledge about the matter at hand.
Observation as a method of data collection can be a quicky and effective way of gathering data with less intrusion. The only thing you need is to identify the right mechanism for making the observation.
The advantages of observation include:
- Data can be collected by simply observing the non- responsive sample subjects.
- Observation does not need to aby interpretation.
- There is no time required to prepare or any resources channelled towards this method of observation.
Observation has several advantages but also disadvantages as listed below:
- Complex training is needed
- Prone to biasness since the result is based on individual opinion.
- One may miss out on important information as a result of the lack of direct interaction with the sample subjects.
5. Group Discussion
Group discussion is more of an interview but at a deep and higher level. This method of data collection brings a group of chosen people together for a discussion on a subject they are already familiar with.
Here are some advantages of group discussion as a method of data collection in the field:
- Helps brands capture facts instantly and any incorrect response is likely to be countered by the member of the group
- It gives businesses an n opportunity to view both sides of the story hence build a balanced perspective on the matter at hand.
- The fact that the group’s host people of the same ideology help businesses uncover important information that might have ignored.
The main disadvantages of group discussions include:
- Some loud members of the group may subdue opinions of those that are less vocal.
- It is not easy to find groups of people with the same ideas and it is even not easy to persuade them to come together for a discussion.
The rise in technology has given brands powerful tools that can dramatically transform the way they collected data in the field and the result. Do not be afraid to test the various primary data collection apps available, it is the only way to know what works and what doesn’t.
Remember a data collection app in the field leads to increased productivity that yields a better return on investment in the long run. Additionally, you are likely to better client satisfaction through reliable data.